Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Smoke Was A Beacon

I do not claim to portend the will of God, but I am certain that there are instances in which an aspect of his incomprehensible plan is made known to us, a phenomenon that often requires only that we open our hearts to the possibility. Whether words itching to be extended to a stranger or a turn made inexplicably attractive, there are times when an action demands fulfillment independent of any moral criterion. This is the experience to which many Christ followers refer when they use the term "called," and something like it has been tugging at my heart, whispering the word "Chureca" into my very being. A number of dear friends have seen and attempted to describe Managua's city dump, where over a thousand pairs of hands dig through scrap for daily sustenance, where selling a thirteen year-old daughter's body in return for first pick on a new truckload of trash is an accepted reality and children huff glue to stave off hunger pangs, and it has been these tales that have been my clarion call and have drawn me hence.

There are frequently discarded chemicals that require only the heat of the Central American sun to ignite. Combustion of these chemicals often produces thick, noxious fumes. Last week the team's familiarization with Managua took us to the historically prominent and monument-laden hill overlooking the city. The view of Nicaragua's capital and the adjacent lake was beautiful, save the blemish of a strange plume of smoke rising from the city's northwestern edge.
From my vantage point I stood, safely horrified by what I assumed must be a devastating blaze, waiting for fire engines to scream relief to affected lives and end the torrent of smoke riding the wind into the distance. I turned to see Leah, realizing that she too had been captivated by the sight of the plume.

"What is that?" I asked, startled by her dire expression.

"Chureca," she said with the glaze of pensive severity cast over her eyes.

It is a powerful thing to look for the first time on a destination of unknown but certain importance. Knowing that I would soon stand within that white squall, understanding that the smoke was a beacon, I nodded as if I had not already accepted the challenge of its call, and turned to rejoin the group, still listening for the sirens that never came.


Tomorrow, we will know Chureca.

No comments:

Post a Comment